Now that's it's February, how are your New Year's resolutions coming along? We're here to give you a little "check up" on where you're at, where you're going AND giving you license to revisit those things . We understand life gets in the way and those initial resolutions can sometimes go off track. Not to worry, there are ways you can still achieve your 2016 goals, and we're here to help you get there!
1. Stick with one goal: It can be tough to pick just one thing that we want to change. By trying to fix everything that is not working, it can be overwhelming and it's hard to focus on what's most important. It’s best to identify one goal so you have something concrete to work towards. It helps to write this goal down and even put it somewhere you can see regularly so you are reminded of what you're aiming for (i.e. on a sticky note at your desk or bathroom mirror).
2. Pick a specific resolution: Perhaps one of the biggest problems that many of us face when choosing a resolution is that we may think big - "I want to change my life" is too broad. Thinking big is GREAT, but you will want to pick something specific to start managing towards results. Something, like "find a new job" or "organize home". When something is specific, it's like picking a point on a map. You know exactly where you are going and what you are trying to achieve.
3. Define tactics: It’s important to define your goals by breaking them up into tasks and steps to get there. For example, if you want an organized home - pick a room or an area to start with. Make a list of the areas you are hoping to target, and the tasks to get each of these areas to "done". Write down your tasks and steps around accomplishing each of these. For example, if you are trying to make it to a new destination (in this metaphor - your goal) - you're going to want a map and good directions (steps)!
4. Set a schedule: Another reason why it's so hard to keep up with resolutions may be time. Be sure to look at the tactics needed to accomplish your goal and home much time you will need to aside time in your schedule to do each task. Use your calendar to make sure you are scheduling these tasks and most importantly, leaving room for them in your day. If there is something that’s not working for you to get to your goal, change it! Be flexible and adapt your schedule so that you can be successful in your goals.
5. Anticipate setbacks: Sometimes things don’t go according to plan, and that’s okay! We're all humans and changes are inevitable. Be prepared to face a setback along the way. It helps to focus on your goal and adjust your timeline as needed.