Did you know that the more you fall in love with your goals, the more likely you are to achieve them? As humans, we go through a process of change. First, we start to realize a need to change but aren't really motivated. Next we start thinking about change and make a few minor tweaks to attempt change. Third, we start working hard on change even if we still aren't in love with the process. And finally, we fall in love with our goals and real change happens.
Let's say you set a goal or resolution to clear out all your clutter once and for all. You know it is important because you'll feel so much better once all that stuff is gone. Then your kids brought home a cold. You got busy taking care of them and stopped thinking about the clutter. Then you got sick. Here we are in February and you are just now remembering that you had set that resolution in the first place. Odds are, you knew it was important but the idea of clearing out all that clutter was less than appealing to say the least.
It's time to FALL In LOVE with your goals!
How do you fall in love with your goals? Here are our tips:
- Focus on the journey, not the destination. No matter what goal we've set for ourselves, the journey is more important than the destination. If you don't love the journey, maintaining a clutter free home, a slim waist line and an organized life will be that much harder.
- Think about the Why. What is it about this goal that matters so much to you. Dig deep. When you come up with an answer, ask yourself why that is. Keep asking why until you are at the true motivation that will help carry you through.
- Make it a game. Find ways to have fun with your goals. Keep score as a measure of your progress or start your own work out dance party.
- Find a partner. There's power in accountability. If you have a partner who will help you stick to your goals, you are less likely to dread the process.
- Create an amazing reward! How will you celebrate once you've accomplished your goals? Find a fun way to celebrate that is truly a treat.
You don't have to wait until January 1, 2018 to get started on your goals. You can start on any day that ends in Y. Fall in love with your goals so that they become part of the 8% instead of the 92%.
Looking for more on how to stick to those 2017 resolutions? Check out our article from last year for a goals check up, complete with worksheet here.